Jump to recipe
First of September and it’s the start of the Scottish Food and Drink Fortnight (http://fooddrinkfort.scot/), to celebrate it I decided to use the last of the Scottish strawberries to create this light and fresh tiramisu’.
The Scottish berries and soft fruit are the best I ever tasted, my favourite is raspberries, sweet and perfumed when is the season I feast on it as much as I can! Out of season, I don’t buy fresh berries but I tend to use frozen one instead.
For the next 2 weeks, I will post more recipes that use the amazing Scottish products. We are very lucky to have amazing ingredients to use and every time I use local and in season products everyone can taste the difference. This is something Italian do all the time, we use the higher quality ingredients possible, prepared in a simple way to ensure the flavour is enhanced, not covered.
- 400 g strawberries
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 150g sugar
- 4 medium eggs or 3 large eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- 200 g sponge fingers or 'savoiardi’ biscuits
- Blend 100g of the strawberries with 50g of sugar and a little of liqueur or water if you prefer.
- Separate the eggs yolks and the eggs whites in two bowls.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar.
- When well done, fold in the mascarpone cheese with a spoon until the mixture becomes a smooth and soft cream.
- Whisk the eggs whites until you have a firm texture, add it to the mascarpone mixture with gently movements, and add the grated peel of 1/2 lemon.
- Slice the rest of the strawberries.
- Soak quickly half of the sponge fingers in the strawberries juice and lay them together inside a baking tray or a bowl.
- Pour half of the cheese mixture over the biscuits; add half of the sliced strawberries.
- Repeat with another layer of sponge fingers soaked in strawberries juice and cover with all the cheese mixture.
- Decorate with the other sliced strawberries.
- Place the dessert in the fridge for least 2 hours before serving.
- If you want, you can decorate with other kinds of berries or grated white chocolate.
- If you don’t want to do the mascarpone cream with raw eggs you can prepare some custard and add in it some firmly whipped cream.
Please follow and like us: