Jump to recipe
First wintery weather call for emergency measure!
While beautiful wintery sceneries are popping up in my social media feeds more and more often in the last few days. Like this picture of Balmoral Castle with a light dust of snow on the grounds. I crave summer food and the beach.
Last week I had to scrape the ice off the car for the first time and from this weekend the nights will get darker.
I like autumn and winter; I love the cosy night and the hearty food, the problem is that I don’t think I’m ready yet. I still crave the warm sun that stays high in the sky until late at night and the fantastic and perfumed Scottish berries.
This amazing dish will bring the sunshine of the Mediterranean in your plate with warming spices, yellow peppers and red tomatoes.
The egg is poached in this sauce to soak all the flavours.
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red and 1 yellow peppers, cut into 2cm strips
- 1/2 tsp muscovado sugar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp chopped coriander
- 1 can of chopped tomato
- a small pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 4 free-range egg
- salt and black pepper
- In a frying pan dry-roast the cumin seeds on a high heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the oil and onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the peppers, sugar, spices and herbs and continue cooking on a high heat for 5-10 minutes to get a nice colour. Add the garlic the last few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cayenne and some salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5-10 minutes. During the cooking, keep adding water if needed. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Make 4 gaps in the pepper mix and carefully break an eggs into it. Sprinkle with salt and cover the pans with a lid. Cook on a very gentle heat for 5-10 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. Sprinkle with coriander and serve.
Please follow and like us: